Thursday 4 March 2010

Late-night update

4 March 2010
Something amazing happened tonight. I'd put E and R to bed, and as per usual, after reading him a book ("Curious George" for the first time) and turning out the light, I heard him start up his nightly babble in the dark, giggling, chattering, singing a verse or two of "The Wheels on the Bus" and the "Alphabet Song" (which in his version includes some experimental letters, not yet represented in dictionaries). There was a sudden cry of alarm which usually means he's done a poo and wants a change.

I went in and found he had managed to wiggle out of his Grobag and indeed smelled a bit whiffy. "Nappy?" I asked, somewhat rhetorically. "I want nappy change," he said back, looking me in the eye.
He just generated his own sentence, and without prompting, in order to express a need. He might as well have recited the Gettysburg Address, I was so knocked out. I cheered with delight and covered him in kisses. He looked very chuffed with himself. Maybe we'll be able to start potty training before he starts college.

No comments:

Post a Comment